Monday, October 11, 2010

Bippity Boppity Boo


One of the procedures for all applicants in the interview process is to do a phone screening first to ensure there isn't an obvious speech impediment, and to be sure they can string a few words together to form a coherent thought or very least a complete sentence. One of my favorite things is applicants that have very telling ringback tones or voicemail messages. I left a message for a girl who's message was,
"Bippy boppy bibbity booppity boppity boobitiy!" BEEP... Strange. Nothing else like "leave a message" or "it's Miranda" just the mystifying babble of a Disney character. I left a message for Cinderella's Fairy Godmother to give me a call back when she had a moment to do a phone interview with me. I hold myself at high standards and hold to my professionalism and (barely) refrain from bursting out laughing on the message, however in this case it was difficult.

She called me back a day or so later and I could tell immediately that she just got out of high school, and was relatively young. Not a lot of experience but I believe in giving people a chance to at least talk to me and see if they astound me. So one of the questions I ask is based on whether they’re smart enough to paint a visual picture for the customer over the phone since the only tools they have to use are their words and creativity. So the question is,



Me; "This sales position requires good verbal communication skills. Can you give me a quick example of a position or role you have held where verbal communication skills were considered a key factor?" (Pen poised waiting for her answer)



Her; (Extensive pause…….could hear her rusty wheels attempting to turn) "Ummmmmmmm well, how do you mean…?"



Me; (Okay Amanda, dumb it down a little. Just got out of high school) "Well at times you have to describe a product in detail to a customer because sometimes they need more information and you at times have to go in depth. So has there ever been a time where you had to go into great detail with someone with your explanation to really make them understand your point of view or what you were trying to get across? Maybe if you were telling a story to someone. Even like a situation in school, doesn’t have to be in a professional setting."



Her; (Still no immediate response, can hear her inhale and exhale.) "Well, how about in driving school?"



Me; "Um……okay….."(trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but sorta scratching my head at this point)



Her; "Well, in driving school we really needed to know how to take a right hand turn safely, and a left hand, (I actually wrote down the first part of this sentence) you had to watch for oncoming traffic. (I stop writing.)So you have to wait until it's clear before you turn! (visualize me with my mouth open.) Also when you come to a yellow light you really need to slow down (trying not to laugh) or a red you need to be sure to come to a complete stop. (By this time I’m enjoying myself and encouraging her with ‘Uh huh’s and ‘Absolutely’s) Always check your mirrors any time you want to change lanes for safety purposes, since someone may be in your blind spot."



Me; "Great example! (in my passively sarcastic way) Well thank you for your time, the HR team and I collaborate once I’m completed with all my phone interviews and decide on the best candidates for in-house interviews. If you’re a leading candidate we’ll give you a call by the end of business on Monday and if not we will keep your application on file for 6 months and review for every training class."



How about that one? Turns out the thingamabob that does the job is NOT bippity-boppity-boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment